LIGHTWEIGHT HIKING ESSENTIALS THAT WON'T SLOW YOU DOWN
THE PERFECT BACKPACK
What's the first thing you grab when you're getting ready for a hiking trip? Your backpack! This is one of the heaviest items you'll take with you because it's carefully stuffed with all your essentials. To eliminate weight we'll want to make sure the bag features the following;
- The pack itself weighs 3 lbs or less. Ultralight backpacks weigh less than 2 lbs.
- A capacity of 45-65 liters
- Made of cuben fiber or nylon material for durability and waterproofing.
Here are three top-rated lightweight backpacks:
"Not all who wander are lost" - J.R.R. Tolkien
Next, you're going to need the most essential item; your shelter. One of the more obvious necessities for a trip, and without a doubt one that will take up the most space in your pack.
Look for these features when shopping for a backpacking tent;
- Durability & Weather Protection (need we say more?)
- Interior Space; no one should feel claustrophobic after a long day on the trail. The more space you have to move around the better.
- Weight; on average we've found that the lighter the tent, the more expensive but less durable it can be. Don't worry! Below are some budget friendly, lightweight tents as suggested by expert travelers.
"Look deep into nature and you will understand everything better" - Albert Einstein
An item you won't think about until they start to slide down your face with every step. No matter if you're hiking a wooded trail or a bright, snowy mountain you're going to need eye-protection. Even more, you'll need lightweight eye-wear that won't fall off, or slide down your face. Ditch the cheap non-polarized, as well as the heavy overpriced pair that won't stay on and trade them in for a pair of polarized wooden sunglasses from Joycoast. Here's what to look for when purchasing your first pair of wooden shades;
- Weight; True wooden sunnies are 40% lighter than the average pair of shades. They should be a maximum of 4oz.
- Polarized; Your sunglasses should be polarized for ultimate clarity. You're guaranteed to see clearer, and even catch more fish for those longer hikes.
- UV Protection; Investing in sunglasses that are labeled UV400 blocks 99 to 100 percent of UV light.
Joycoast is not only the most affordable option, but they also give back to the Earth we're so eager to explore. 10 trees are planted for every product sold.
"Life begins at the end of your comfort zone."
A WAY TO CONNECT
It comes as no surprise that you're bound to lose service at one point or another on your trip. "Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong." - Murphy's Law, right? The best way to stay connected is through a GPS / Satellite device.
The most popular option is the Garmin InReach Mini which lets you send text messages back and forth to my family to let them know that you're okay or if plans change when out in the back-country. It also has an SOS subscription built in so that you can reach first-responders in an emergency. The devices also offer weather reports, GPS, and navigation functionality.
Other Options include;
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”
Drinking enough water during any activity or simply your day to day life is crucial for many reasons: to regulate body temperature, keep joints lubricated, prevent infections, deliver nutrients to cells, and keep organs functioning properly. Being well-hydrated also improves sleep quality, cognition, and mood. Water is also a heavy addition to your pack. Here's how you can stay hydrated all while lightening your load;
- Water Filters; finding water can be easy, finding clean water can be hard. A simple filter in your water-bottle can make all the difference in a bug free stomach.
- Reusable Bottles; The best way to reduce, reuse, and recycle on your trip. Just pop a filter in and you're good to go!
- Backpack Bladders; this is the perfect backup for your water bottles, and is an easy constant access to hydration. Freeze it before your hike for a quick and light transition.
"Do more than just exist."
WHAT OUR CUSTOMERS HAVE TO SAY
The digital frame view looked good so I went for it. I was shocked how good these looked and the quality is better than other sunglasses I've bought at this price range.
Since last year I’ve enjoyed both my watch and sunglasses. Both are super comfortable and surprisingly light. Accidentally bent the pin on my link tool and was given several while visiting the Charlotte Christmas show booth. Have my eye on one of the new watches but my son really likes my original watch so we got him one similar.
These Joycoast Sunglasses are the best. Perfect fit, lightweight, reasonable price and most of all sustainably made and 10 trees were planted. Joycoast - you are awesome.
lov my new glasses! Love the new trees planter !
Love my new glasses! Pretty and polarized. Many compliments on them!
This is my second pair. I love the fit.
This is a great looking, The ring fits good and so far it’s holding up great from scratches. Would definitely buy from again.
I love this peice when I step out. Have friends and people in passing completing this peice over and over. Definetly have people buying online.
Joycoast is awesome!
Incredible and I plan to order a watch for my husbands birthday. My problem is deciding which of the woods as they are all so beautiful. You don't want to miss out on this unique product.
I bought these for my sister who LOVES sunglasses. These are so unique and like nothing I've seen before. There were so many options to pick from, each one cooler than the last. They are comfortable on your face too. The owner was so friendly and helpful. Thank you for planting the ten trees with each purchase too! That alone makes the purchase worth it.
I have bought two pairs of these in two years because I love them so much! They are unique, they fit really well, they are lightweight, and the wood patterns are beautiful. I also love that this company gives back to the world by planting trees with each purchase. I guarantee I will be back to purchase another pair!
Love my new shades. Lightweight, great UV lenses. The wood is super comfy!
Vega | Ebony, Cat Eye
I love your products! These sunglasses are beautiful! The fit is snug and comfortable. Great quality, very unique and stylish.